Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Who Ya Gonna Serve?

Well, here it is voting day. Did you wonder, in the midst of primaries, debates and conventions, if we would ever get here? I certainly did.





Yet here we are, Tuesday, November 4th, 2008. Today the voters of the United States will choose a new President. Polls say it will likely not be who I prefer. But I'm going to vote anyway. Why? Because crazy things can happen on election day.


This picture is kind of small, but it is of Harry Truman holding up a newspaper announcing Dewey winning the election when in fact Truman had. AND can you say, "hanging chad"?

So I go out today to cast my ballot.

Even if the candidate of my choosing is not elected I still owe him respect as the leader of our country. And ultimately it is not him I serve. I serve the Lord God, Creator of heaven and earth who sent His only Son to be the Savior of all mankind. And He is sovereign and in control. Whoever is elected has been allowed to be elected by God. "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgement on themselves." -Romans 13:1-2

That is a hard thing to do. Especially when there are preciouse lives at stake. But this country is unique in that we can change things by voting. Before I vote, I pray, because I want to do the Lord's will, because that is who I serve. Who do you serve?


By the by, I hope this plays alright for you. I had some trouble with it but I think it was because our server was running slow. In a past life I was (and still am to an extent) a Bob Dylan fan. I hope he maintains his relationship with Jesus Christ, but even if he doesn't he wrote a great song here.

Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve....But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. ~Joshua 24:15

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I have only just found you, and left a comment on your Halloween post.
I will be back!

Robin Lambright said...

I think we are all in this place of anxiousness about the outcome of the election. But I read a scripture this afternoon in my bible study that really gave me some peace.

JER 17:8 He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

No matter what happen with the election if we keep our eyes focused on the truth of Christ then we willl be all right!

Blessings
Robin

Cyndy said...

Amen Robin...more and more I'm learning that all our faith needs to be placed in God and not in men, no matter how good they are.