Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Beans, beans, that flavorful fruit....


You didn't really think I was going to finish that little lyric did you? Hee! Hee!


But all jesting aside I just wanted to share a tasty little bean recipe with you that I call Calico Beans. Don't worry no soaking and no crunchy beans. I've taken my bean guru's advice, "Canned beans are cheap!"


So here you go! This is a great side dish for a Mexican themed meal or (as I'm doing tonight) it's a great dish to take to a pot luck.


Calico Beans


1 - 16 oz. can Black Beans

1 - 16 oz. can Navy Beans

1 - 16 oz. can Kidney Beans

2 - 16 oz. cans Pinto Beans

1 white onion chopped

3 cloves garlic minced

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano

1 teaspoon chili powder

Salt to taste

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil


Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for about five minutes or until onions are tender and things are smellin' good then add two cans of beans (your choice which ones) with liquid, drain off the liquid of the rest of the cans of beans. Add seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that beans are simmering, let them do that for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to really come out. Yummy, yummy, yummy!


5 comments:

Julo said...

YUM! I love beans! I have not taught my boys that rhyme because I know I'll NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT. :) I'll look forward to trying these. I'm making my monthly menu plan right now.

Anonymous said...

Cyndy, I'm so honored to still be known as your bean guru! These look great. I'll definitely try them. I'm always looking for more vegetarian choices, and more things that go "dump" in my crockpot!

Anonymous said...

Ssoooo, THAT was your bean guru's advice. :-D I must have missed that when it came around the first time.

Looks VERY yummy, Cyndy. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I get hungry just looking at the pic of those beans! Now I'm in the mood and can hardly wait to try them out... this weekend! You post such a good variety of stuff, and hope you'll continue with a good recipe every now and then. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I made the beans! They are everything you said they were! Thanks for the wonderful, practical recipe, it's one of the best ones yet! I look forward to your the next one! How did the potluck turn out?