Sunday, May 18, 2008

We're Havin' A Heat Wave...


It's been a little warm here the last few days...as in 95 degrees plus. I refuse to look at the temperature after that because lets face it...hot is hot. This is a little unusual for us this time of year. It's not normally this hot for at least another month.


Heat like this brings out interesting fashion choices in some folks. On Friday the kids and I were at the mall having lunch and people watching. There weren't a lot of people there but the ones who were....were....well interesting.


There was the forty something lady wearing a bikini top under a lacy crocheted vest and sporting a belly button piercing. She should NOT have been showing off that much belly, trust me.


Then there were the myriad of under dressed teenage girls and the old hippies in brand new tie dye from head to foot...I'm serious. Head. to. foot.


I think the one who made me do more than a double take was the young mom pushing a stroller in 4" stiletto heals, a black strapless cocktail dress, and a pony tail. I'm still trying to figure that one out.


I always find people watching a very entertaining activity. I sit and wonder about what these people with wildly different fashion tastes are really like. Why do they dress the way they do? I mean what makes you wear a black cocktail dress in the middle of the day at the mall? With your kids in tow?


I was thinking of making this a post about modesty but for some reason (even though I am sometimes appalled at the public's growing lack of modesty) I find myself more amused at the variety of people and their tastes. I think it is in fact a great tribute to God and His infinite creativity. Apart from being a twin there really are no two people alike. Even if you are a twin or look very similar to a parent or sibling and maybe even share similar tastes there is still going to be something that makes you quite different than them.


I'm glad. I'm glad that there really no two people alike. I am thankful that we are each unique. I pray that every person would know that they are especially fashioned by our loving Father. I pray that I would be able to show that and tell that to people I meet. Even the mom in her cocktail dress and stiletto heals.


I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. ~Psalm 139:14

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Oh, I am laughing! I love to people watch too. I put very little effort into my wardrobe, and try to remain under the radar as much as possible, so I am always FASCINATED when people go so far the other direction. Cyndy, can you imagine us GRACE moms, at our next mom's night out...in cocktail dresses and stilettos?